PlaceTrack is the best full-featured background updater for Google Latitude
HOW IT COMPARES WITH OTHER CLIENTS
* it also works on older devices (3G) and older iOS (3.1.x), background disabled
* excellent battery usage: it uses SLC mode (Significant Location Change), NOT continuos background: it is suspended in the background most of the time and does not use cpu cycles.
* can save location history locally and can export kml files
* facebook/email/sms integration: post your location with a small map
* lots of configurable settings and options
- keeps Google Latitude up-to-date with your exact location: install the app, authenticate, enable background, quit and forget about it!
- check out where your contacts are (thumbnails are shown on map or list view) once you confirm each other as friends
- optional location history and KML export: you may export past locations by email as a KML file and see them on a Google Map or using Google Earth
- Facebook support: update your Facebook wall with location data, a map and an optional text
- battery friendly background mode: the application suspends on exit and is woken up only when you move significantly (detected using cell towers signal); most of the time it just sleeps and the GPS hardware is powered off to preserve battery
- automatic relaunch: if the application gets killed for whatever reason (eg, after a power cycle) and background mode was enabled, the application is automatically relaunched in the background on the first location change event
- location by email: send your current postal mail address along with gps coordinates and a small street map and a "directions" link. If your receipient uses an iPhone, the "directions" link launches the Maps application (on desktops it opens the Google maps website with your current coordinates)
- fake location support: you can disable GPS usage completely and input a fake place name to be used as your location. When you enter a fake location, background mode is temporarily disabled.
- uses the new iOS4.0 multitasking features on supported phone models (3GS and up)
- security: your Google credentials are securely transmitted from your iPhone directly to Google and never sent to our or any third party servers
- a settings page lets you tune most configurable parameters (gps accuracy, timeouts, local notifications, etc.)
- your current location (address and gps coordinates) with altitude and speed (if available) are always displayed on the application main screen and included in Facebook status updates
- the application may send local notification on particular events (location changes, network failures, authentication errors): you can set a notification threshold for the error severity level or turn off notifications completely
- find your iPhone easily: keep the background mode enabled and locate your iPhone through Latitude in case it gets lost or stolen! The application still runs after a phone reboot or power cycle, and updates your iPhone location
- on device with iOS4 < 4 the application still runs without background support
See larger Screenshots below